Yes, we all have them. Some of us are more willing to talk about them than others. Me, I have no problem talking about those parenting days that just go awry. I had one of those days on Monday. The morning started off great. The boys and I had a relaxed breakfast, got ready for the day, and then ventured out. We started with haircuts, which surprisingly was not a big ordeal. Parker sat in the chair longer than usual while Greyson ratcheted up the other chair. I think he was trying to make it reach the sky, but thank goodness Parker was finished before he accomplished that feat. Then we went to Taps to purchase a new workbook for Parker and some paints. Parker has been eyeing a pirate dress up set for about a month, and Kevin and I have always said "maybe another day." Well, today was the day! I told Greyson that we would be purchasing roller blades, so this was Parker's treat. In any event, he was happy...for the moment.
So, we ventured to Target next. I had several things to get. But, I also picked up several things that were not on my list. Like the Slushee maker that the boys wanted so badly because the ones that Grandma makes are so good. However, the entire time we were in the store, Parker was begging for a toy. Mind you, I just purchased the pirate outfit not twenty minutes before, but the request kept getting louder and more forceful. NOT a pleasant experience after I had just given him something he had been waiting for for a while. So, we got Greyson's roller blades, and all the other necessities, and headed home.
When we got home, we went outside to try out the new purchase. It was short lived. Although Greyson loved them, they are difficult to maneuver. So, after about ten minutes, we made our way back inside. They boys attempted to play with one another, which ended in both boys being sent to their rooms. Somehow make believe with Buzz and Woody turned into a fist and kicking fight. Oh yeah, did I mention that they completely ignored almost every request or direction that came out of my mouth? I may as well have been talking to Melia. At least, for the most part, she obeys. The boys, not so much today.
Kevin made it home (finally) around 5:00. We suited up and headed to the Y for TAC practice. Parker decided to join the team today, and it backfired. He was sent out of practice early for not listening, and Greyson joined him. No, Greyson was not sent out, he just walked out. Holy cow! How disrespectful. I made them both apologize to the coach for not obeying, and we headed home. Over dinner, I tried to tell the boys how disappointed I was with their behavior. After my little speech, Greyson looked at me and said, "why aren't you eating your supper?" I think everything I said went in one ear and out the other. Later, because I thought Greyson would understand, I told him that I felt sad because even though I had done so many nice things for him and his brother all day, they decided to misbehave anyway. He said he understood, but I am not quite sure.
I have to say it is days like these that make me so emotionally exhausted. I tell the boys that I love them more than anything under the sun. And really, that does not even begin to express the depth of my love for them. But, sometimes I just feel like they forget how good they have it. Or maybe it is just that I forget that they are only four and five years old. And sometimes, we just have days that are a little more difficult than others. I guess I just need to remember that days like these come and go, and sooner or later will be forgotten. But most importantly, I have to remember that even though I like to forget days like these, I must thank the Lord that I have the day to live to begin with. And therein lies my saving grace:)
The most AMAZING Grandparents EVER!!!
11 years ago







4 comments:
Natalie--This story is SOOOO funny!!! And just one more reason that I love you so--you are never shy to say "it was just a terrible day!" :) We all have them, and its SOO nice to be able to share them together!!! I laughed SOO hard when you said you were sharing your heart at the dinner table, and Greyson was more concerned about you not eating!!! Oh, little boys!!! I love them SOO!!! Here's to the challenging days that make us laugh afterwards!! :)
Okay, so at first I was giggling, then remembering our trip to Busch Gardens, then at the end I'm in tears! What a posting Natalie?! I love the way you aren't afraid to say what a disaster the day was and that no matter how hard you tried, it didn't get any better. Both of those boys of yours know you love them to the moon and back-today just was not a good to show you. The rest of us see it and your boys will one day thank you for it! What a Mom--tomorrow's another new day, full of possibilities--a day to start over and begin anew! God is good.
I know exactly what you mean. Some days it just escalates and once you lose control of those little buggers it's hard to get it back sometimes. We all have them for sure. It's part of the journey of being a mom. You may not always laugh thru it but one day we'll look back and laugh...I hope:)
I love it - we ALL really do have these moments, hours, days - they feel so long and exhausting don't they? It's days like that that you just want to start over!!! It's nice that when we wake up the next morning, they love you just as much and you can all start fresh -even mommies!!! You're a GREAT one, too!
Post a Comment